How to Winterize Your Skin. Start now!
Winter skin; dry, red, flacky,
ashy, itchy, uncomfortable.
Every year winter rolls in and usually takes our skin by surprise. As soon as the temperature drops below 10 Celsius (14 F), the wind blows, heating systems are turned on
- skin feels drier, tighter
- new fine lines pop out of no where
- deeper lines look deeper
- lips crack and peel
- skin is prone to redness due to lack of protective hydration
- skin becomes flaky looking
- skin may feel itchy, flushed
- skin looks ashy
Lack of humidity in the air stresses the skin. When you peel off the blankets or tights and sparks (static electricity) crackles, that is an indicator that your skin is likely crying out for winter care.
HOW TO WINTERIZE YOUR SKIN
IN 4 SIMPLE STEPS
START WITH YOUR CLEANSER
- Switch to a water soluble cream cleanser fortified with cleansing botanical oils to gently cleanse without stripping the skin of essential lipids. A well formulated oil based cleanser leaves the skin soft, clean and never greasy.
- Dont over cleanse your skin. What works in hot humid weather most likely will stress out the skin during the winter. Use exfoliating cleansers 1 per week or only as needed.
- Daily exfoliating in the dry winter wont allow the skin to replenish its natural barrier of lipids fast enough leading to red, stressed out skin.
- Oily skin can get ‘water' dry (dehydrated). Cleansers are available with coconut oils to rebalance the skin, while managing oily secretions.
Dry, sensitive skin - Hydra Soothe Botanica Cleanser
Oily/Combination - Salicylic Clean Cleanser
Dry Combination Skin - Chamomile Clean Cleanser
ADD A BIO IDENTICAL GLYCO LIPID SERUM
TO BOOST YOUR SKIN’S NATURAL ABILITY
TO PROTECT ITSELF AGAINST DRYNESS.
Slathering on more face cream when your skin is dry can add up to wasted product. Instead, add 1-2 drops of a bio identical glyco-lipid serum fortified with Vitamin E and F under your favourite face cream.
Glycolic lipids immediately relieves dry itchy skin, calms redness and acts as a silky guard of protection against dry air and cold. The ideal way to ‘winterize your face cream'. A glyco- lipid serum is the 'silk winter undergarment' for your skin!
I highly recommend:
All Skin Types - Hydra Soothe Corrective Serum
LAYER A SUNSCREEN WITH
A BOTANICAL OIL RICH FACE CREAM
As you layer clothing in cold dry weather, do the same with your face creams
AM : After a glyco-lipid serum, apply your sunscreen followed by a botanical enriched face cream. Applying thin layers of face cream and sun screen will boost skin protection. Face creams well formulated with quality botanical oils leave the skin nourished, silky feeling and soft, never greasy.
Dry Skin, signs of aging - Eco Pink Redensify and Firm Serum Cream
PROTECT AND TREAT YOUR LIPS DAILY,
UP TO 4X’S PER DAY.
Our lips are usually the first to feel the lack of humidity. They feel dry, look dry and eventually peel and flake. Lacking in natural oils the lips require special treatment.
Apply a lip treatment fortified to condition the lips, treat vertical lip lines, gently exfoliate and plump. Using a lip treatment daily under lipstick is a must during the winter.
Dark, red, burgundy tints of lipstick can lead to drier feeling lips. Choose to use lips treatments instead of lipstick during the coldest months of the year. Your lips will look and feel better.
I highly recommend:
COVER YOUR FACE.
When the temperature dips to frigid, cover & protect your skin from moisture sucking cold wind and tissue freezing temperatures.
- a comfortable winter hat to cover the forehead,
- sunglasses or goggles to guard the eye area
- scarves to cover the nose and mouth
Be aware of weather forecasts and predicted frigid temps. Covering up your skin and using winterizing skin care will keep your skin beautiful and healthy until Spring finally comes along.
YOUR SKIN IN THE WINTER NEEDS TO BE HYDRATED FROM THE INSIDE. DRINK WATER, LOTS OF IT.
Winter mornings start off with dry mouth and parched throats. Heating systems and the cold rob the body of essential moisture, not just from the skin’s surface but deep down inside of our bodies.
Quench your body’s thirst with 6-8 glasses of water a day. Your body and skin will thank you; lots of water leads to robust elimination, which in turn helps to fortify and purify your skin.
Aesthetician/ Microcurrent Facial Specialist